Monday, September 29, 2014

Member Spotlight: Shawn Hesse

Our latest member profile is of a transplant from Ohio who brings some expertise in Architecture and Sustainability. He's also a part of our Membership Committee. Meet Shawn Hesse!




USGBCMA: What is your current job and how does it differ from past jobs in Sustainability?


SH: I am an architect and sustainability consultant. I lead the Boston office of emersionDESIGN. At previous jobs I was one of the few individuals interested in sustainability. However at emersionDESIGN, I am surrounded by people that share my passion and interest in making our work more sustainable. There we constantly raise the bar for one another.



USGBCMA: When did you first become interested in Sustainability?


SH: My interest in sustainability is rooted in spending the entire summer outside while growing up, playing in the nearby woods, creeks and lakes in and around Cincinnati. But my understanding that I have a role and responsibility to improve sustainability of our communities as an architect was developed at architecture school.


USGBCMA: Why are you a member of the MA chapter and how did you get there?

SH: I have been involved with the USGBC for almost 10 years now in Cincinnati, serving on the chapter board in several roles including board president. I have also served on the USGBC Regional Committee representing Ohio and the Heartland Region and also at the national level. I just recently moved to the Boston area and have begun to get involved here on the Membership Committee and also as a the facilitator for the Living Building Challenge Boston Collaborative.



USGBCMA: How are you an environmental steward?

SH: I have worked hard to turn my day job as an architect into my passion of making a sustainable future a reality. I am also in the process of planning my wedding next June. My fiancee and I are writing the "Living Wedding Challenge"- zero waste, carbon offset, public transit to the event, local food, etc.




USGBCMA: How do you help raise environmental awareness?

SH: I do a lot of public speaking about sustainability.



USGBCMA: If I needed to fin you on a Saturday afternoon, where would it be?


SH: On any given Saturday, I could be out hiking, camping, at a beer tasting, escaping zombies or just at home restoring my 1960s radio.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, they will be posted shortly.
Please note that we will not post any that contain solicitations.